"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."
Jane Austen

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring time in Dallas, an Awakening.

It's two for one Sunday.

This post is going to be a hodge podge of things I love about this weekend.

Yesterday, I was in Dallas at the brand spanking new Winspear Opera House watching the matinee of Spring Awakening. It was incredible. I fell in love with the show months ago, despite never having seen the OBC on Broadway, simply from watching poorly recorded clips and listening to the soundtrack. On repeat. Every day. Regardless, my roommates and I loved every single minute of it! The cast was really great. The two standouts for me were Steffi D and Taylor Trensch who played Ilse and Moritz, respectively. The whole cast really was awesome, but those two just stole the show for me. In the second number of the second act, they perform a duet, "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind", that literally gave me chills. I know I'm gushing, so I'll stop myself before it gets too bad.

The show is definitely not your grandma's musical, but it is fresh and stunning and relevant even though the time period is sometime in the late nineteenth century. Beyond just the content, the talent, and the songs, the whole aspect of the show was new and different. I really loved how they used the stage and the members of the cast who weren't performing. The actors who were designated as u/s or part of the ensemble were sitting in the risers on the stage, dressed in street clothes. During group numbers, they would stand up and join in the number. I kind of loved that!

The music will keep you singing long after you've left the theater and I find myself already wishing I could go back. I don't know how long the tour will last, as of now I think it is set to end sometime this summer in Orlando. I really hope that it makes another go around because I would see it again in a heartbeat.

In short, it was incredible. Okay, I'm done with the gushing, I promise.

In other news, to feed the member's of our house insatiable appetites for all things Broadway, Liz has decided we are going to read one excerpt from her book about the great Theaters of Broadway. Tonight was the Ford Center.

In short, I love my roommates.

Here's a little montage from the Tour's YouTube channel. The song is "Totally F**ked" and it doesn't just consist of the words blah blah blah, I promise.



10:13pm

No comments:

Post a Comment